Wax resist is a well-known, artful painting and inking technique, but did you know you can get similar results using a kitchen staple and your embossing machine? First, use the textured waxed paper to create a delicate resist on Season's Greetings; then, use the same piece as a vellum-like background on Merry Christmas.
You'll need (for the pair)
Papers & Embellishments
* Card stock: white; glossy white; bright blue; dark brown; ivory.
* Waxed paper, 5 1/4"x 1/4".
* Ivory adhesive pearls (KaiserCraft).
* Decorative metal snowflake brad.
* Sheer ribbon: 5/8" blue; 1/4" brown.
* Embroidery floss: blue; brown.
Tools & Supplies
* Clear stamp sets: Winter Trees Perfectly
* Clear [TM] (Stampendous); Winter Birds (Inkadinkado); Holiday Messages Sparkle Clear (Hero Arts).
* Ink pads: Hydrangea Blue and Timber Brown StazOn[R](Tsukineko[R]); VersaMark[R] (Tsukineko[R]); Adirondack[R] Lights Cool Peri (Ranger).
* Embossing powder (Ranger): Queen's Gold; Ancient Golds[TM] Enchanted Gold.
* Brown colored pencil.
* Stickles[TM ]Glitter Glue (Ranger): Crystal; Waterfall.
* Something Old, Something New Corner Punch (Fiskars[R]).
* Shapes Circle Templates and Ultra Shape Express Cutter (Fiskars[R]).
* Die-cutting machine.
* Nestabilities[TM] Labels 2 dies (Spellbinders[TM]).
* Cuttlebug[TM] Snowflakes Embossing Folder (ProvoCraft).
* Iron and hard, heat-proof surface.
* Heat gun.
* Foam sponge.
* Dimensional adhesive tape.
what to do
(1) Follow manufacturer's instructions to emboss waxed paper with snowflakes texture. (2) Cut two 5" bright blue card stock circles, one 4 1/2" glossy white circle and one 6" white circle. (3) Remove guide from corner rounder punch and turn punch cutting side up. Place one blue circle in punch with card stock edges touching metal "V"; squeeze. For second punch, leave a bit of metal edge visible on left side of punch next to first punched lace design. Line up same as first punch, on edge of card stock. Continue until border is complete. (4) Repeat Step 3 on large white circle. (5) Set up iron on medium heat with no steam. Place embossed side of remaining waxed paper on glossy side of 4 1/2" circle. Place pieces of scrap paper under glossy circle and over waxed paper to protect iron. Iron paper for two minutes. Remove top piece of scrap paper and waxed paper. Set aside waxed paper for Merry Christmas card. (6) Sponge Cool Peri ink over glossy circle; use dry paper towel to rub off excess onto scrap card stock under circle. Place glossy circle between two pieces of scrap card stock and iron for two more minutes to remove wax resist. (7) Stamp brown trees on resist background; stamp taller trees a second time, slightly off center, for shadow effect. Stamp brown deer at bottom between trees and again on white card stock scrap. Color deer on scrap with brown pencil; cut out and adhere to background with bit of foam tape. Stamp Hydrangea sentiment near top. Accent treetops with glitter glue; let dry. (8) Adhere blue lace circle to center of white lace circle with foam tape. Tie blue ribbon around both layers and secure at right with blue floss. Adhere stamped circle to center of layered circles. (9) Score remaining blue circle 1" from top and adhere to center back of white lace circle to create back of card.
(1) Make side-fold dark brown card base. (2) Center 3 3/4"-square labels die over waxed paper square and cut out center. Cut a 3 1/4"-square label shape from ivory card stock. Emboss edges of ivory label using embossing mat in die-cut machine. (3) Use watermark ink to stamp sentiment at top left; heat emboss Queen's Gold. Stamp and emboss bird at lower right in same way. (4) Place waxed paper on scrap card stock to protect work surface. Sponge watermark ink over embossed waxed paper; heat emboss Enchanted Gold. Accent lower left corner with snowflake brad and pearls. (5) Cut a 5 1/4" brown card stock square; center 3 3/4" square labels die over square and cut out center to create "frame." * Adhere wax paper to card stock frame. Wrap three lengths of brown ribbon around right side and tie off with brown floss. Adhere frame to front of card using foam tape. (7) Adhere ivory stamped label to center of card.
Source Citation:Crozek, Sue. "Wax resist holiday greetings." Crafts 'n Things 34.6 (Dec 2009): 48(2). InfoTrac Vocation, Careers & Technical Education eCollection. Gale. BROWARD COUNTY LIBRARY. 25 Oct. 2009
(Album / Profile) http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=10035&id=1661531726&l=f3f19215d0